ss5 form - Social Security Administration is professional filing agency that assists with application preparation for new or replacement social security cards. Our easy to use system allows you to complete the SS-5 form with confidence and ease. Save time and money allowing us to accurately prepare your forms from the comfort of your home.

We are not affiliated with any government agency.

You can obtain free assistance and forms by directly contacting the SSA (Social Security Administration).We work directly for you and include a Ebook, step by step instructions, and extended customer service.

Your Social Security number is one of the most important pieces of identification. This unique number lets lenders assess your creditworthiness.

According to federal law, a few agencies have the right to request your SSN to prove your identity. These include the DMV, welfare offices, tax authorities, and other government agencies. The Privacy Act of 1974 protects you, though; this requires an agency to disclose how it uses your SSN.

Obtaining your own Social Security card requires specific documents, like an SS5 form. You’ll also need to actually go to a local office to apply. Or, you can hire a service like Online Application to expedite the process on your behalf.

What is an SS5 Form?

Also known as the Application for a Social Security Card, the SS5 form is exactly that: It lets you apply for a new card. There are several situations in which you may need to complete and submit this form.

If your parents never applied for a Social Security card on your behalf, you’ll need to get one before you can get a job. This usually isn’t a problem, and most children receive a number as infants.

If you already had a Social Security card but either lost it or had it stolen, you’ll need a replacement. This is also true if you have damaged the card too much to use anymore.

After getting married or divorced, if you change your name, you must get a new card with your new name on it. Of course, you can also change your name without changing your marital status. Under these circumstances, you can bring the certitified court order to the office.

If your Social Security card contains a clerical error, you must get it replaced. This includes an incorrect birthdate or a misspelled name. Your card should contain completely accurate information.

If the status of your citizenship has changed, you’ll need to update your card. An example might be recently becoming a U.S. citizen after holding legal residency.

If you have recently given birth or adopted a child, you should apply for a Social Security card on their behalf. Your child must have a Social Security number before you can claim him as a dependent. This is also true if you wish to open a bank account in her name.

Finally, if you are caring for an adult dependent who doesn’t have a copy of their Social Security card, you must get one for them. This helps them get government benefits and lets you assist with finances.

Necessary Documents

To apply for a brand new Social Security number, you need two or more required documents that prove your identity. This includes your age, name, and citizenship or immigration status.

Replacing a card you already had only requires proving identity and citizenship status.

Obtain the SS-5 Form

To prove identity, you will need at least one of the following documents:

  • U.S. driver’s license
  • U.S. passport
  • State-issued identification
Gather the Proper Supporting Documents

If none of these documents are available within 10 business days, others may work:

  • School identification
  • Employee identification
  • Non-Medicare health insurance card
  • U.S. military ID card
Fill in the SS-5 Form and Submit

To prove your age, you will need your birth certificate. If it doesn’t exist, you may be able to use one of the following:

  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. hospital record listing your date of birth
  • Religious record listing date of birth from before the age of 5

To prove your citizenship status, you will either need your U.S. birth certificate or a U.S. passport. If you’re not a citizen, then you’ll need to provide current immigration documents. These include forms I-94, I-766, and I-551. The specific forms will depend on your exact circumstances.

If you are applying for a new card due to a name change, you must bring proof of this legal change. This includes the court order for a name change, marriage document, or decree of divorce. You may also provide a certificate of naturalization. In all cases, you will receive a new card with the same number, but the updated name.

Finally, you will need to fill out form SS-5. This is available online.

All documents brought to the local office need to be originals or certified copies. You cannot bring receipts, notarized copies, or photocopies as evidence for your application.